Local historian James M. Cameron was the founder of CKEC Radio and went on the air on 23rd of December 1953. That was
A lesser known fact is the original frequency of CKEC was 1230KHz . With a modest power output of only 250 Watts, it was in 1959 that CKEC moved to 1320KHz with a power output of 5,000 Watts.
In fall of 1964 Douglas Freeman purchased CKEC from James M. Cameron.
The original office location, which was part of James M. Cameron's printing business, is the current location of "The Dock". In 1974 CKEC moved from that George St. location to its present location at 84 Provost St. downtown New Glasgow.